Plano Shoplifting Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Shoplifting Charges in Texas
Shoplifting charges can lead to severe consequences that can impact your future and reputation. At the Law Office of Mac Morris, we recognize the significance of these charges. We are committed to providing strategic legal representation for individuals facing shoplifting allegations in Plano and throughout Texas. Our experienced team is dedicated to defending your rights and helping you navigate the legal complexities of shoplifting offenses.
Call the Law Office of Mac Morris today at (972) 846-8214 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our shoplifting attorney in Plano!
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting, also known as retail theft, occurs when an individual unlawfully takes merchandise from a store, intending to permanently deprive the owner of that property. This offense encompasses various actions, including concealing items, altering price tags, or switching packaging to pay a lower amount. Shoplifting can be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the value of the stolen goods and the circumstances surrounding the incident.
In Plano, shoplifting charges can be brought under Texas Penal Code § 31.03, which outlines the elements of theft offenses. Understanding that even seemingly minor incidents can result in serious legal consequences is crucial, making seeking legal representation to protect your rights imperative.
Penalties for Shoplifting in Texas
The repercussions for shoplifting in Texas are contingent upon the stolen property's value and the offender's criminal history. The consequences span from misdemeanor charges to potential felony convictions, highlighting the gravity of such allegations.
For misdemeanor shoplifting:
- Class C Misdemeanor: Stolen property valued at less than $100 constitutes a Class C misdemeanor. Penalties for this offense include fines of up to $500.
- Class B Misdemeanor: Shoplifting property with a value ranging from $100 to $750 is categorized as a Class B misdemeanor. Conviction can result in penalties of up to 180 days in jail and fines reaching $2,000.
For felony shoplifting:
- State Jail Felony: If the value of the stolen property falls between $750 and $2,500, the offense is a state jail felony. This level of shoplifting carries penalties of 180 days to two years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
- Third-Degree Felony: Shoplifting property valued between $2,500 and $30,000 is classified as a third-degree felony. Convictions at this level can result in prison sentences ranging from two to ten years and fines up to $10,000.
- Second-Degree Felony: Instances where the stolen property exceeds $30,000 escalate the offense to a second-degree felony. Convictions at this level may lead to prison sentences spanning two to 20 years and fines reaching $10,000.
These penalties underscore the severe nature of shoplifting charges in Texas, underscoring the imperative need for legal representation to navigate and potentially mitigate these severe consequences.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
In the face of shoplifting charges, exploring potential defenses that can challenge the allegations is vital. The seasoned legal team at the Law Office of Mac Morris is equipped to assess the intricacies of your case and construct a robust defense strategy, including:
- Lack of Intent: Demonstrating that there was no intent to deprive the store owner of the property permanently can serve as a viable defense.
- Mistaken Identity: If there is evidence of mistaken identity or insufficient proof linking you to the crime, our legal team can work diligently to establish your innocence.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the evidence presented against you, whether surveillance footage or witness testimony, is crucial in building a solid defense.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: Should law enforcement violate your constitutional rights during the investigation, our legal team will vehemently challenge the admissibility of evidence obtained through an illegal search and seizure.
Our overarching goal is to tailor a defense strategy that aligns with the unique circumstances of your case. We are dedicated to safeguarding your rights and advocating for the best possible outcome in the face of shoplifting allegations.
Contact Our Plano Shoplifting Attorney Today
Facing shoplifting charges is a serious matter that requires immediate attention from an experienced legal professional. The Law Office of Mac Morris is dedicated to providing effective and aggressive representation for individuals in Plano and throughout Texas. Contact us today and take the first step toward building a solid defense against shoplifting allegations.
Contact the Law Office of Mac Morris today to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting lawyer in Plano!